By the Numbers: Saint Louis vs. Punahou

Punahou QB Nick Kapule set an ILH Division I single-game passing record on Friday night. Photo by Jamm Aquino/Star-Advertiser.
Punahou QB Nick Kapule set an ILH Division I single-game passing record on Friday night. Photo by Jamm Aquino/Star-Advertiser.

The best part about Friday night for fans of high school football is that No. 2 Saint Louis and No. 3 Punahou will play again later this month — and probably again after that.

If you missed it, you can read our “Game Night” live play-by-play of the game, or watch video highlights of the game.

The two teams combined for 1,138 yards of total offense and 108 points in the Crusaders’ 64-44 win. How crazy of a night was it? Let’s break it down.


>> The 108 total points scored by both teams is the third-most in an ILH game. The only two games with more points came before the state championship era. Saint Louis defeated ‘Iolani 77-42 (119 points) in a 1998 game and the Crusaders beat Pac-Five 84-28 (112 points) in 1999.

>> Punahou allowed a school record 64 points. Its previous high of points allowed came in a 62-20 loss to Saint Louis in 1998.

>> Buffanblu QB Nick Kapule set an ILH Division I record with 495 yards passing, breaking the mark of 485 yards set by current ‘Iolani junior Tai-John Mizutani in his final game of the 2015 season against Kamehameha.

>> Kapule’s 495 passing yards are the sixth-highest ever in a single game and most by a player not to reach 500.

>> Kapule’s 495 yards broke the school’s single-game record of 442 yards set by Ephraim Tuliloa last year against Kamehameha.

>> Ethan Takeyama finished with 10 catches for 189 yards and four touchdowns, but that was not a career high in yards. Takeyama had 215 yards in a game against Kamehameha last season ranking fifth on the school’s single-game list.

>> Saint Louis junior Tosh Kekahuna-Kalawe, who Paul Honda wrote about after the game, had nine catches for 185 yards and two touchdowns. His 185 receiving yards are the ninth-most in a single game in school history.

>> Kekahuna-Kalawe, who had only two career catches coming into the game, now ranks on a top-10 list that includes George Ornellas, Gerald Welch, Jason Rivers, Desmond Hanohano, Cameron Bayne and Devan Stubblefield.

>> Saint Louis QB Tua Tagovailoa finished with a career-high 447 yards passing, ranking second on the Crusaders’ single-game list behind Jeremy Higgins (484 vs. Kamehameha, 2008).

>> Tagovailoa now owns five of the 10 best single-game passing marks. The other five marks are held by Higgins, Darnell Arceneaux, Timmy Chang and Marcus Mariota.


>> Tagovailoa is the first quarterback ever to throw for 400 yards and rush for 100 yards in the same game.

>> Tagovailoa became the 13th Oahu QB to throw for more than 6,000 yards in a career. He now ranks eighth on the career passing list and trails Timmy Chang, the record holder, by 1,560 yards.

>> No quarterback has thrown for more yards in his first 23 games than Tagovailoa, who has 6,441 career passing yards.

>> Tagovailoa’s 66.2-percent career completion percentage is the best of anyone to throw for at least 6,000 yards.

>> Tagovailoa’s 10 career interceptions are the fewest of anyone to throw for at least 6,000 yards.

>> Tagovailoa accounted for nine touchdowns against Punahou. Unofficially, that breaks the record of eight but some research is still to be done before we make it official.

Other fun little tidbits from this game.

>> Saint Louis went three-and-out on its first three drives.

>> Saint Louis didn’t call a designed running play until 48 seconds left in the third quarter.


>> Saint Louis outscored Punahou 64-31 after the first quarter.

The rematch is set for Sept. 29 at Aloha Stadium.

COMMENTS

  1. 88 September 10, 2016 4:33 am

    Who are the DC’s for both teams. They need to put their kids in better situations to be successful. I mean these kids are suppose to be the cream of the crop. 108 combine points is a bit high


  2. TooMeke September 10, 2016 5:06 am

    @88. You mean who WERE the DCs? Lol. Fired.


  3. 87 September 10, 2016 6:33 am

    this was a blow out, tua sat in the 4th. What is the HHSAA gonna do now? create a fourth divison specifically for punahou so they dont have to compete with stlouis?


  4. i love 88 September 10, 2016 9:27 am

    What the HHSAA should do is not allow Kahuku to participate in sports until they call can read and write at least at the 5th grade level.

    I mean look at all the Kahuku writers on here. It just proves my points every time they turn on the computer and start to type.

    #88iscool


  5. Pay To Play September 10, 2016 9:49 am

    Where’s the PUNAHOU ENVY group??

    #Crickets


  6. 88 September 10, 2016 9:51 am

    “What the HHSAA should do is not allow Kahuku to participate in sports until they call can read and write at least at the 5th grade level.” Now, whats wrong with this sentence? Hmmm, I wonder…… Hawaii Prep World should not allow you to post until you can write at least at the 5th grade level.


  7. Jeezy33 September 10, 2016 11:00 am

    “Now, whats wrong with this sentence? Hmmm, I wonder…… Hawaii Prep World should not allow you to post until you can write at least at the 5th grade level.”

    It’s called a typo, genius. Having typos doesn’t mean that the person is writing below the fifth grade level, otherwise you’d have college professors sitting in elementary school classes. Get a clue, 88.


  8. i love 88 September 10, 2016 11:00 am

    I love 88! If he was the DC for Punahou last night then STL would have had negative 24 points.

    88 is so great he could have taken the Manoa Pop Warner Team, ages 10-11 and pound Kahuku!

    CHEE-HOO! 88 is king!


  9. Alpha September 10, 2016 11:03 am

    My prediction was for Punahou because they were more healthier on D but it doesn’t matter. Their hardly was a D being played….. it’s just my opinion…..


  10. I Adore 88 September 10, 2016 11:04 am

    If 88 was defensive coordinator, the ILH teams would forfeit before even stepping on the field! All the “prestige” will then go to Kahuku! All private schools will shut down because of no “prestige!!!”


  11. 808 RR4L September 10, 2016 11:09 am

    EH, CLOWNS. YOU GUYS LIKE ACT AH?? I LOVE 88, JEEZY, WHOEVAS. LIKE I SAID BEFORE, WE TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL NOT SCHOOLBALL. I KNOW WE CAN READ AND WRITE PAST FIFTH GRADE LEVEL BECAUSE LAST I CHECKED, I WENT GRADUATE FROM TWELVE GRADE! YOU GUYS JUST HATING BECAUSE BIG RED WOULD LICK BOTH THESE TEAMS.

    60 SOMETHING TO 40 SOMETHING. THAT’S NOT FOOTBALL. THESE TWO SCRUB TEAMS COME NORTH SHORE THEN WE SEE WHO GET POUNDED. FIRST WE POUND THEM ON THE FIELD. THEN WE POUND THEM IN THE PARKING LOT. THEN WE POUND THEIR CHICKS CUZ THAT’S HOW WE ROLL!! CHEEEEEEEEE PONO!

    AHAHAHAHAHAHAH RR4L! HATE US CUZ YOU AINT US BRUH!


  12. 88 September 10, 2016 11:55 am

    “It’s called a typo, genius. Having typos doesn’t mean that the person is writing below the fifth grade level, otherwise you’d have college professors sitting in elementary school classes. Get a clue, 88.”

    Its called irony, genius. Having typos doesn’t mean that the person is writing below the fifth grade level, However having typos while your claiming everyone on here types below a 5th grade level is hilarious.


  13. Jeezy33 September 10, 2016 12:26 pm

    @88 “Its called irony, genius. Having typos doesn’t mean that the person is writing below the fifth grade level, However having typos while your claiming everyone on here types below a 5th grade level is hilarious.”

    It’s not irony, genius. The guy didn’t say “Kahuku grads TYPE (emphasis mine) below a 5th grade level,” he said “read and write.” Typing is the act of manually transcribing words by pressing buttons on a keyboard. Reading and writing are the abilities to read, comprehend, and express your thoughts in a coherent way. One is a technical skill where errors could occur even among the most proficient. The other is indicative of thought processes, education, and general intelligence.


  14. 808 RR4L September 10, 2016 12:36 pm

    EH. WHAT I JUST SAID?? STOP TALKING ABOUT SCHOOL. I WISH THAT WE COULD JUST GET RID OF SCHOOL AND JUST HAVE ONE KAHUKU FOOTBALL TEAM THAT PLAY OTHER SCHOOLS. NO NEED SCHOOL FOR WEAR ONE GREEN SHIRT AND BUILD THE RAIL ANYWAY! MIGHT AS WELL JUST PLAY FOOTBALL CUZ PRESTIGE LADAT!

    RR4L! HATE US CUZ YOU AINT US BRUH! ENEMIES OF THE STATE!!!


  15. 88 September 10, 2016 1:30 pm

    Waite, what? So you didn’t say, I mean he didn’t say( we all know its the same person but I will humor you), ” look at all the Kahuku writers on here. It just proves my points every time they turn on the computer and start to TYPE.” I must have read this wrong. The word TYPE must have a totally different meaning in your world. Trying to come off as smart and actually being smart are two different things friend.


  16. Leeboy September 10, 2016 2:06 pm

    88 I thought puns was going to destroy us. LMAO, what do you have to say now


  17. 88 September 10, 2016 2:19 pm

    I got 44 things I could say. However I don’t recall saying Punahou would destroy the Crusaders. I did say the Crusaders were DESTROYED in the State finals last year though.


  18. i love 88 September 10, 2016 3:10 pm

    88 September 10, 2016 at 11:55 am
    “It’s called a typo, genius. Having typos doesn’t mean that the person is writing below the fifth grade level, otherwise you’d have college professors sitting in elementary school classes. Get a clue, 88.”

    Its called irony, genius. Having typos doesn’t mean that the person is writing below the fifth grade level, However having typos while your claiming everyone on here types below a 5th grade level is hilarious.

    Are you supposed to “capitalize” a letter after a comma? (However)

    And isn’t the proper way to write “your” is “you’re” when “you are” claiming?

    You are really proving your point 88! No worries buddy we all still love you! I don’t care if you have to live through the football team since you never made it. I don’t care if you don’t care about academics since you didn’t graduate.

    I still love 88!


  19. 88 September 10, 2016 3:19 pm

    I’m getting a grammar lesson by you…. Ahh man thanks for the laugh my bradah. You just made my day.


  20. i love 88 September 10, 2016 3:26 pm

    Jeezy33 September 10, 2016 at 12:26 pm
    @88 “Its called irony, genius. Having typos doesn’t mean that the person is writing below the fifth grade level, However having typos while your claiming everyone on here types below a 5th grade level is hilarious.”

    It’s not irony, genius. The guy didn’t say “Kahuku grads TYPE (emphasis mine) below a 5th grade level,” he said “read and write.” Typing is the act of manually transcribing words by pressing buttons on a keyboard. Reading and writing are the abilities to read, comprehend, and express your thoughts in a coherent way. One is a technical skill where errors could occur even among the most proficient. The other is indicative of thought processes, education, and general intelligence.

    JEEZY, I agree with you but 88 cannot help himself. He is just that TYPE (not trying to type on the computer) of person.

    I still love him though even though he has low intelligence. That is what makes him so SPECIAL!

    I have to say JEEZY, you are too smart for this blog. You are making 88 feel fell dumb now. Even thought he thinks you cannot “type” on a keyboard, but you can’t be “typing” for an hour.

    HAHAHAHAH! BWAAAAHAAAHBWAH!!!!


  21. i love 88 September 10, 2016 3:29 pm

    88 September 10, 2016 at 3:19 pm
    I’m getting a grammar lesson by you…. Ahh man thanks for the laugh my bradah. You just made my day.

    You are welcome. And it is free. After all we know you enjoy free which is why you went to Kahuku.

    I still love you 88!


  22. 88 September 10, 2016 4:02 pm

    I’ve seen people talking to themselves but I have yet to see someone post to himself. That is untill today. Wow, so sad so sad.


  23. Jeezy33 September 10, 2016 4:12 pm

    @88: “” look at all the Kahuku writers on here. It just proves my points every time they turn on the computer and start to TYPE.” I must have read this wrong. The word TYPE must have a totally different meaning in your world. Trying to come off as smart and actually being smart are two different things friend.”

    dont’ be an idiot, 88. You need to look at the full context of what i love 88 wrote. Let me quote the entire thing for you.

    “i love 88 September 10, 2016 at 9:27 am
    What the HHSAA should do is not allow Kahuku to participate in sports until they call can read and write at least at the 5th grade level.

    I mean look at all the Kahuku writers on here. It just proves my points every time they turn on the computer and start to type.”

    It’s clear that he’s criticizing Kahuku students/grads for their lack of READING AND WRITING ability, which he claims is demonstrated when they start typing words. In this situation, he’s not saying they can’t TYPE. he’s saying that the words and thought processes that they are typing (the meaning) are rubbish.

    your response was to call him out on a TYPO to prove that he needs to learn how to write at the 5th grade level before posting on the blog. you replied:

    “88 September 10, 2016 at 9:51 am
    “What the HHSAA should do is not allow Kahuku to participate in sports until they call can read and write at least at the 5th grade level.” Now, whats wrong with this sentence? Hmmm, I wonder…… Hawaii Prep World should not allow you to post until you can write at least at the 5th grade level.”

    so i pointed out that a typo doesn’t mean lack of reading or writing ability. you then reply with this.

    ” Having typos doesn’t mean that the person is writing below the fifth grade level, However having typos while your claiming everyone on here TYPES (emphasis mine) below a 5th grade level is hilarious.”

    here you are SHIFTING THE GOALPOSTS and claiming that i love 88 is talking about typing ability instead of reading and writing ability. You are being sneaky and intellectually dishonest here with your argument, 88, in order to make yourself look smart/correct, but really, you’re coming off as a tool.

    oh, btw, you can pretend that i’m the same person as i love 88 if it makes you feel better, but really, i’m just another person in a long list of person who thinks the things you write are silly.


  24. 88 September 10, 2016 4:48 pm

    Dude, how are you two going to criticize Kahuku students/grads for their lack of READING AND WRITING ability when you lack in the same department. I mean do you read before you post or do you just try to pass the rubbish you write as aaahhhhhh nevah mind. Your post speaks for itself. This is way to easy


  25. Jeezy33 September 10, 2016 5:14 pm

    @88: “Dude, how are you two going to criticize Kahuku students/grads for their lack of READING AND WRITING ability when you lack in the same department. I mean do you read before you post or do you just try to pass the rubbish you write as aaahhhhhh nevah mind. Your post speaks for itself. This is way to easy”

    pathetic. and here i thought you were actually gonna construct a good argument. i never said that kahuku students/grads lacked reading and writing ability but you just convinced me.

    *yawn. you bore me. go away, little boy.


  26. 88 September 10, 2016 8:25 pm

    Construct an argument, for what? All anyone has to do is read your post to understand what an imbecile you are. C’mon man


  27. al September 10, 2016 10:11 pm

    Sorry, 88, but you should just concede the point. Jeezy33 pretty much picked your argument apart in his last post and now all you’re doing is name calling. It’s starting to get kind of juvenile on your end.


  28. i love 88 September 10, 2016 11:25 pm

    Let’s be real everyone. 88 is such a fool that he will continue to post. Then he will get angry. He will write more nonsense. He will get angry. He will write more foolish things. He will get angry. He will not make sense. He will get angry. He will insult people. He will get angry. You can repeat this over about 100 times.

    But he will never offer any evidence to support anything he says.

    And that is why I love 88. After all, how many people can actually spend all day long writing possible the dumbest things ever on a blogging site.

    Yes it’s 88, but c’mon guys, he needs a hug. After all he was already born an idiot. He cannot help himself. This is the best he can do. Let’s all pat him on the back.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiprepworld@staradvertiser.com.

*