On this date in 1946, Punahou’s Verne Daily had big plans for his school’s tennis program.
Daily’s dream was realized by Punahou trustee Walter Dillingham four years later when the Capt. Gaylord Dillingham courts were completed and exhibition matches involving the Australian Davis Cup team held.
In 1950, the Dillingham Open was held for the first time before fizzling out in 2003, and nine years later the courts hosted an exhibition involving Wimbledon champion Maria Bueno and American star Mimi Arnold.
More courts were added in 1978 that lasted 30 years and the complex underwent a $3.5 million renovation in 2013.