Punahou gets kills from six different players and the Buffanblu beat Huntington Beach 25-15 in the first set of the championship match. The Oilers not getting the calls, and it is frustrating them, but the Buffanblu have them scrambling every time they hit the ball over the net.
The Buffanblu are just as sharp in the second, leading 13-8 behind Remo Gaogao’s five kills. Gaogao yields to others after that, and Punahou leads 19-13.
Punahou wins 25-19 and repeats as champion.
‘Iolani beat Mira Costa 15-25, 25-23, 15-12 in the gold bracket of the Ann Kang Invitational at ‘Iolani on Saturday, and moves on to meet Huntington Beach at 2 p.m. for a spot in the final against either Punahou or Mater Dei.
The Buffanblu and Monarchs are hitting the floor now.
The Raiders took a 10-5 lead in their third set against the Mustangs, and held onto it behind three kills by Anna Uhr. Skylar Caputo threw a scare into ‘Iolani with successive kills to make it 14-12, but Uhr blasted one home from the right side to end it.
Mater Dei took it to Punahou in the first set, up 19-9 after a 9-0 run with Frankie Shebby getting two kills and two aces. Remo Gaogao was held without a kill and was roofed twice in the waning moments, when Mater Dei’s Sami Krakower had three blocks in a row. Mater Dei won the first set 25-12.
The second set is an entirely different story, Punahou led as late as 15-14 before Mater Dei went on a run thanks to three Punahou errors to lead 19-16. The Buffanblu fought back to tie it at 22, though, and won the second set 25-23 when Mater Dei was called for a net violation before Shebby got a clear swing at the ball.
Punahou goes up 4-1 in the third and forces Mater Dei to call a timeout.
Third set play by play:
- McKenna Granato with a block, p6, md 2
- Granato with another roof, P7, MD 2. Timeout, Mater Dei.
- Punahou on a huge run, up 9-2. they own the net
- Granato big kill from the middle, 10-2
- Granato with a roof, 11-2.
- Gaogao dig, Granato kill. 12-2.
- Kelly Matthews error, 12-3
- MD putback, 12-4.
- MD kill, 12-5
- Zappia kill for Mater Dei, 12-6. Timeout Punahou.
- Brittany Welsh roof, 12-7.
- Mater Dei off the block, 12-8.
- Kristin Gabriel roof, 12-9.
- Granato thunder, 13-9.
- Punahou error, 13-10
- Granato error, 13-11. timeout Punahou.
- Granto kill from the back, 14-11.
- Shebby kill, 14-12.
- MD ace, 14-13
- Behrens error, 14-14
- Punahou kill, 15-14
- Mater Dei’s Zappia hits wide, Punahou wins 16-14.
‘Iolani vs. Huntington Beach next.
Huntington Beach forced Iolani to take the first timeout up 7-4. Iolani closes it to 7-5 before taking another timeout, it doesnt look like they meant to.
Hungtington Beach takes a timeout up 20-18 in the first set. Iolani comes back to within 23-21 on an ace by Sara Watanabe, but kills by Katie Lespier and Ally Forsberg give the first set to the Oilers, 25-21.
Iolani trails the second set 11-8, the Raiders are hanging with them but just a step slow. The Oilers go on a tear and lead by 12 before Iolani comes back but loses 25-18.
Punahou and Huntington Beach up next for the championship. ‘Iolani beat Mater Dei 26-24, 23-25, 15-8 in the third-place game behind a balanced attack. Bailey Choy started the third set with successive aces and had two kills. Ana Oglivie had three kills and Anna Uhr had three kills and the ace to end it.
St. Joseph’s won the Bronze bracket with a 25-20, 25-16 sweep of Windward (Calif.).
Saturday’s Ann Kang scores:
- Mater Dei (Calif.) def. Long Beach Poly (Calif.) 25-18, 25-19
- ‘Iolani def. Mira Costa (Calif.) 15-25, 25-23, 15-12
- Punahou def. Mater Dei (Calif.) 12-25, 25-23, 16-14
- Huntington Beach (Calif.) def. ‘Iolani 25-21, 25-18
- Mira Costa (Calif.) def. Long Beach Poly (Calif.) 25-10, 25-10
- ‘Iolani def. Mater Dei (Calif.) 26-24, 23-25, 15-8
- Punahou def. Huntington Beach (Calif.) 25-15, 25-19
- Mid-Pacific def. Kalani 25-11, 25-18
- Sage Hill (Calif) def. Seabury Hall 25-22, 25-18
- Mid-Pacific def. Mililani 25-19, 25-20
- Sage Hill (Calif.) def. Moanalua 25-21, 25-22
- Seabury Hall def. Kalani 26-24, 25-17
- Mililani def. Moanlua 25-20, 25-19
- Sage Hill (Calif.) def. Mid-Pacific 26-24, 27-25
- St. Joseph’s def. Hawaii Baptist 25-22, 25-17
- Windward (Calif.) def. ‘Iolani 2 25-21, 25-17
- Hawaii Baptist def. ‘Iolani 2 25-23, 25-14
- St. Joseph’s def. Windward 25-20, 25-16