Star-Advertiser Girls Basketball Top 10
Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015
1. Konawaena (13), 138
2. Roosevelt (1), 119, 2
3. Maryknoll, 105, 4
4. Lahainaluna, 100, 3
5. Punahou, 76, 5
6. Hilo, 71, 6
7. Kamehameha, 53, 7
8. Mililani, 52, 8
9. Iolani, 22, 10
10. Kailua, 12, 9
ARV: Kaiser 11, Leilehua 3, Hawaii Baptist 3, Farrington 3, Nanakuli 2.
1. KON. Anybody who has the unbeaten Wildcats ranked at No. 3 or below — after they beat two nationally-ranked teams, including a defending national champion — would lose this debate.
2. ROOS. Watching Keala Quinlan show her power in the post was a revelation.
3. LAH. Lost to HIL (and KON) in preseason. Also beat KAIS, LEI, PUN, MIL and later, HIL.
4. MS. Beat PUN soundly.
5. HIL. Would the Viks give MS a better game than PUN did?
6. PUN. Losses to ROOS, LAH, MS, KS.
7. KS. Losses to MS (2x), IOL, PUN.
8. MIL. No signature wins yet for the women of Troy.
9. IOL. Living by the 3.
10. KAIS. All six losses (nonconference and OIA) were to ranked teams. No sig wins yet. Btw, their JV team, which I saw in Week 1, is HUGE and finished first in the OIA East standings. Which of the JV Cougars will move up to varsity soon? We shall see.
KAIL. Talented trio, but still hasn’t closed the gap. I keep forgetting that the Surfriders beat Kaiser two weeks ago!
LEI. Shantel Appleby may be the best in the West.
NAN. Fun to watch, a dangerous matchup in the playoffs.
HBA. Unbeaten in ILH D-II. Losses to Huntington Beach (CA), Kaiser, Radford. Hard to push the Eagles higher.
FAR. Losses to LEI, KAIS, ROOS.