Kahuku’s postseason in limbo?

(Note: I wrote this last night for today’s print edition, but we didn’t run it. Here it is now, though.)

Principals and members of the Oahu Interscholastic Association’s sanctioning committee met for three hours last night to probe into a rumor that two Kahuku football players were ineligible this season.

Kahuku (10-0), the top-ranked team in the state, is set to play Mililani for the league title tonight. However, principals will meet again this morning (11 a.m.) to continue discussion. Until a decision is made by administrators, No. 1 Kahuku’s postseason is in limbo.


The rumor began spreading last week when an anonymous caller informed the Star-Advertiser about the two players, claiming that they are fifth-year seniors. However, Kahuku coach Reggie Torres said at the time that he and athletic director Joe Whitford had checked into it and found the two student-athletes were eligible. Details were sketchy at best, but word was that they had repeated eighth grade in order to graduate and begin LDS missions immediately upon graduation at age 19 (in 2011).

In that scenario, they were eligible to play high school sports this season.


To date, no team has forfeited an entire season in OIA football while in contention to win the title. The league has no current fallback plan if the worst-case scenario were to become reality. The OIA has three Division I state-tournament berths.

Leilehua and Waianae are playing for third place and the league’s final D-I state berth tomorrow.


Paul Honda, Star-Advertiser


COMMENTS

  1. Letaulau Avea November 5, 2010 9:31 pm

    even with staying back in 8th grade they are eligible to play. they are only 1 year older then the other boys making them 18, they still can play! this whole thing is ridiculous. They stayed back a year in intermediate, so this is their fourth year playing football.


  2. Linda November 5, 2010 10:10 pm

    Let them play…..


  3. Gertrude Ku'uipo Takemoto Zane November 5, 2010 10:18 pm

    What is the issue? Isn't the OIA council who are at fault? Shouldn't they be the ones penalized for not confirming every player participating in it's Association program! Why penalize the kids! This is really not good sport's conduct by the Association! The OIA has now created dissension, discord, division, conflict in and throughtout the state!


  4. John November 5, 2010 10:34 pm

    When you enter the 9th grade the clock begins to tick and you have 4 years (9,10,11,12) to play a sport. I heard this Kid only played 11,12 but was held back in 9 or 10 grade. So if you count 9, 10, 10, 11, 12 that is 5 years and therefore a violation of the rules. Its pretty technical and a stupid rule I feel bad for the kids.


  5. lcnpierce November 5, 2010 11:52 pm

    Are they going to give all the Jr. Kindergartners the same issue? My son is AFTER the cut off, so we opted to keep him back- teacher's recommendation. And if they were kept back in 8th grade, like the article said, then this shouldn't be an issue. There aren't any 8th graders on the JV team.


  6. Jesusizlife November 6, 2010 12:05 am

    If the dude that was ineligible is playin his fifth year in high school football, and or is 19, he should be ineligible. But if this is only his second year playing, and flunked 9th or 10th grade, i think he's still good to go. alot of players from my high school flunked either grade and still went on to play 4 years of high school football. Plus, if the player didnt know or nobody really knew what the guidelines were, then why punish the team? OIA's fault. But then again, OIA is made up of dumbshi*. LET KAHUKU PLAY!


  7. John November 6, 2010 2:51 am

    I just found out the Kid in question went 9, 9, 10, 11, 12 = 5 years. He only played his 11th and 12th year but what matters is when he started 9th grade. So in this case the ruling stands he is not eligible to play more than 4 school years. And no he's not 19 he's 18 but is considered a “fifth year” senior. If you're going to be held back let it be 7 or 8 grade…come 9th grade the clock starts!. The biggest problem is a negated season means negated rushing, passing, tackles etc. records. Jr's. and Sr's. lose their stats for this season costing scholarships. I feel for them.


  8. Hachiko November 6, 2010 3:02 am

    Guy better stay anonymous, lest he feel the wrath of the Red Raider nation for being a shifty snitch.


  9. zamorapark November 6, 2010 7:11 am

    The whole thing now if it is true that Kahuku did have an ineligble player, then Mililani and Leilehua should be playing for 1st and 2nd. Not Leilehua and Waianae playing for 2nd and 3rd. The player was ineligible last week this should nullify Kahuku win over Leilehua. Now I am a parent of a Waianae player and this only seems fair to all.


  10. LOC1234 November 9, 2010 4:06 pm

    well said!


  11. LOC1234 November 9, 2010 4:07 pm

    no for reals!!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiprepworld@staradvertiser.com.

*