Heckling, bad-apple parents spoil it for kids

To the handful of Moanalua “fans” who heckled an injured Roosevelt player Tuesday night … Auwe!

To the cynical woman sitting midway up the bleachers in the midcourt area: To act all irritated because a kid was seriously in pain with leg cramps is fine … but to start complaining that he’s “faking” it? Especially after he went down a second time? Naturally, a Roosevelt fan — a mom or auntie — sitting nearby stood up and rebuked her.

Then another Moanalua “fan” got all disgusted when another player went down with a potentially serious knee injury — a player from her own team.


“You’re spending all your time on the floor,” she complained about both teams, loud and clear while the other 99 percent of the audience watched quietly with concern as a trainer tended to the Moanalua player. She kept chirping and spewing negative comments while her young children sat next to her.


I hope nothing that serious ever happens to your kids, “lady.” When we hear about the bad attitudes of parents and how they affect today’s children, I saw some prime examples tonight. When coaches and teachers talk about student-athletes who are very coachable and teachable, sometimes these kids are overcoming much more than we may imagine.


To the 99 percent who were solid fans and showed the kids positive sportsmanship, thank you for eventually drowning the other 1 percent out.

Paul Honda, Star-Advertiser

COMMENTS

  1. posterized09 December 8, 2010 3:45 pm

    So sad… actually just plain stupid. There's the aloha spirit for ya'


  2. Gail Juan December 8, 2010 6:59 pm

    GREAT STORY…. IGNORANT WOMEN…. NOW TEACHING THEIR KIDS HOW TO ACT UP AT A GAME WHEN SOMETHING SERIOUS HAPPENS…


  3. walaau December 9, 2010 12:04 am

    “Fans” like that should be tossed out of the arena. What ever happened to cheering and supporting without being critical of others. I suppose those moms were all-stars during their days, huh? The other 99 percent should be allowed to verbally abuse the offenders until they decide to leave…that will teach them to act up!


  4. kamealoha70 December 9, 2010 9:27 pm

    I hear you, so very true. I've been to some high school football games and heard some very ungrateful and unreal parents (with children present). Some people yelled vulgar language and I was in shock! Things really get out of control when you hear someone yelling “What the f#*@ was he thinking!” or “I could've stayed home if I knew they were going to lose!” and it gets worse. One of the comments that stuck in my mind was “catch the f#*@n ball you loser!” Very sad and yet very real. I'll try my best not to conform to the unsportsmanlike behavior.


  5. ValLockett December 9, 2010 10:30 pm

    As a Moanalua parent of an athlete, I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of the hand full of indignant, but mostly ignorant folks that unfortunately (whether they think so or not) represented Moanalua High School during that game. We are a much better community than that, and this is true embarrassment at its highest and in its lowest form.


  6. ValLockett December 9, 2010 10:38 pm

    As a proud Moanalua parent of an athlete, I would like to extend my apologies on behalf of the hand full of indignant, but mostly ignorant folks that unfortunately (whether they think so or not) represented Moanalua High School during the Roosevelt vs Moanalua game. We are a humble and proud community, and this is true embarrassment at its highest and in its lowest form.


  7. pupulepaul December 9, 2010 11:06 pm

    Aloha Val! No need to apologize, but your sentiment is so awesome. It was only a few Moanalua fans who were negative, and though they weren't all yelling at full throttle, the fact that they had young children nearby hearing everything … that blew me away.

    The best action we can take as fans or family is to use peer pressure to negate that 1% (or less) that bring negativity through the gym door. A little positive reinforcement. A little reminder that the kids need to hear support, not the opposite. It has to come from those of us in the bleachers because the coaches, trainers, athletic directors and other administrators already have their hands full. It's on us to encourage each other to remain positive.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiprepworld@staradvertiser.com.

*