2017 ILH football schedule

by Nick Abramo on July 15, 2017

The ILH football regular season starts Sept. 1. In photo, Punahou’s Keala Martinson caught a touchdown pass last season with Kamehameha’s Joshua Mahelona defending. Jamm Aquino / Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

Hawaii Prep World received a 2017 Interscholastic League of Honolulu varsity football schedule Saturday.

The schedule is not finalized and subject to change, but, according to a league source, it is close to finalized and changes, if any, are expected to be minimal.

The regular league season first round starts Sept. 1 and runs through Oct. 7. The league’s second round will run the weekend of Oct. 13-14 and Oct. 21. If a one-game playoff is needed to determine the overall league champion in Division I and Division II, those games will be held Oct. 27.

2017 ILH VARSITY FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
Subject to change. Click here for the latest schedule updates.

First round

Friday, Sept. 1
Division I
>> Kamehameha vs. Saint Louis, 7:30 p.m., at Aloha Stadium
Division II
>> St. Francis vs. Pac-Five, 4:45 p.m., at Aloha Stadium

Saturday, Sept. 2
Division II
>> ‘Iolani vs. Damien, 2 p.m., at Skippa Diaz Stadium

Friday, Sept. 8
Division II
>> St. Francis at ‘Iolani, 3:15 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 9
Division I
>> Punahou at Kamehameha, 6 p.m.
Division II
>> Pac-Five vs. Damien, 3 p.m., at Aloha Stadium

Friday, Sept. 15
Division II
>> Damien vs. St. Francis, 6 p.m., at Skippa Diaz Stadium

Saturday, Sept. 16
Division I
>> Saint Louis vs. Punahou, 6 p.m., at Aloha Stadium
Division II
>> ‘Iolani vs. Pac-Five, 3 p.m., at Aloha Stadium

Friday, Sept. 22
Division I
>> Kamehameha vs. Punahou, 6 p.m., at Aloha Stadium
Division II
>> Damien at ‘Iolani, 3:15 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 23
Division II
>> Pac-Five vs. St. Francis, 5 p.m., at Kunuiakea Stadium

Friday, Sept. 29
Division I
>> Saint Louis at Kamehameha, 7:30 p.m., at Aloha Stadium
Division II
>> ‘Iolani vs. St. Francis, 4:45 p.m., at Aloha Stadium

Saturday, Sept. 30
Division II
>> Damien vs. Pac-Five, 10 a.m., at Skippa Diaz Stadium

Saturday, Oct. 7
Division I
>> Punahou vs. Saint Louis, 6 p.m., at Aloha Stadium
Division II
>> Pac-Five at ‘Iolani, 3 p.m.
>> St. Francis vs. Damien, 3 p.m., at Aloha Stadium

Second round

Friday, Oct. 13 or Saturday, Oct. 14
Division I
>> Seed 2 vs. Seed 3, date and time TBA, at Aloha Stadium
Division II
>> Seed 1 vs. Seed 4, date, site and time TBA
>> Seed 2 vs. Seed 3, date, site and time TBA

Saturday, Oct. 21
Division I
>> Winner of Seed 2/3 vs. Seed 1, 6 p.m., at Aloha Stadium
Division II
>> Winner of Seed 1/4 vs. Winner of Seed 2/3, 3 p.m., at Aloha Stadium

Playoffs (only if necessary)

Friday, Oct. 22
Division I
>> First-round winner vs. second-round winner, time TBA, at Aloha Stadium,
Division II
>> First-round winner vs. second-round winner, 4:45 p.m., at Aloha Stadium

{ 23 comments… read them below or add one }

88 July 15, 2017 at 3:42 pm

3 teams playing each other over and over and over again. This has to be one of the worst schedules ever created in the history of high schoool football. PLEASE merge all the top schools into one super conference already. Enough of this participation trophy crap. Let the BEST play the BEST!

Grabum.by.da.puppy July 15, 2017 at 5:06 pm

oia1 vs ilh1 prep bowl is best

ilh July 15, 2017 at 6:20 pm

Go back to the Prep Bowl, ILH 1 VS. OIA 1, ILH 2 VS. OIA 2. OUTSIDE ISLAND TEAMS WILL NEVER BE IN THE STATE FINALS IN DIVISION 1, SO JUST GO BACK THE OLD WAY. OIA Committee afraid to compete with the ILH.

NOT THINKING ABOUT THE KIDS July 16, 2017 at 8:44 am

Good thing OIA decided to do what they did and vote out of the OPEN division. Idiots. All that did was take 1 ILH team out of the state tournament but 5 OIA teams. That’s great math OIA people. You guys should be ashamed of the issues you guys caused this year. State tournament is a wash this year, gonna have an asterisk next to it saying *OIA Made a big Mistake. Unreal, and then you guys bully or appease the outer island by letting them pretty much play by themselves, pitting 3 outer islands vs. the DII ILH league to help give them their best chance to hoist up a Koa trophy. It won’t happen anyway, Damien will probably still win that division. But what were these you guys thinking. I don’t think they were at all. So sad this 2017-18 season gonna be.

RidgeRunnerE-5 July 16, 2017 at 10:32 am

ILH should schedule more games against top mainland schools. Almost half of Bishop Gorman’s schedule was against out-of-state opponents, same with IMG academy.

2L July 16, 2017 at 11:26 am

Like politics, so petty. stop fussing over ILH and OIA and neighboring island…just create a system that fosters parity. its what’s best for the kids.

Education First July 16, 2017 at 12:37 pm

BORING!! Guess I’ll be watching OIA games on O16. Anyone know if Punahou has more polys on their team than Kahuku and St Louis? Know Punahou scouts island wide.

anywaaaays!! July 16, 2017 at 1:32 pm

The ILH made their bed now they got to lay in it. You recruit state wide with the goal of having super teams well then dont expect the poor OIA public schools to come and rescue you from your crappy 3 team league or cater to any special arrangements for post season formats.

It was bad enough that in order to transition away from the prep bowl era of the 80’s and 90’s into the current State tournament, the HHSAA had to tell the ILH to stop playing 19yr old kids. Kind of easy to win 14 prep bowls when you…
1. Recruit the biggest and best kids island wide
2. Hold those kids back a year to play as 19yr old seniors

http://archives.starbulletin.com/98/09/22/sports/story3.html

ALL ILH July 16, 2017 at 6:46 pm

Oh stop complaining about the past!!! How about to make everyone here happy let’s just hand the championship to Kahuku to make all you OIA people happy! No need play football.

anywaaaays!! July 16, 2017 at 8:35 pm

ILH wants nothing more then to erase the past because if no one knows what happened in the past then they can continue to manipulate the future.

The OIA is like the old Hawaiian Kingdom that was overthrown for what the USA deemed was better for Hawaii when in fact it was only for their own military and financial interests. The OIA, like the Hawaiian Kingdom is being used.

Stop the madness and let the OIA govern themselves and play by their own rules while the ILH continue to change the rules and find loop holes to keep their elitists status. STAY IN YO LANE!

Hyn July 17, 2017 at 2:30 am

It’s so funny that it’s always the oia whining about something. It’s like they have nothing else better to do in there lives but to complain about HIGH school football. GET A LIFE and stop living in the past. The top oia and ILH schools are pretty much at the same playing field right now. I bet if you ask the kids to vote majority would want to play against each other. It’s all the adults involved who’s living in the past with all this hatred against the ILH .

anywaaaays!! July 17, 2017 at 12:14 pm

oh really!

Heres your boy Cal Lee complaining in 2016 and 2017 about his intermediate teams restrictions. Do you really want to know which ILH team was poor sport and left the field without taking their 2nd place trophy? Sounds like Football is the most important thing up there at STL and when things dont go their way they bitch and moan!

2016 article – http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football/spring-ing-into-fb-season-saint-louis-crusaders/
2017 article – http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football/summer-summary-saint-louis-crusaders/

Hyn July 17, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Anyways – you talking about the same crap over and over like a broken record. Yeah he’s complaining about intermediate kids being restricted only because he feels for the kids who don’t play. Again he’s thinking about the kids. Your so ignorant all you see is the negative side of things when it comes to St. Louis. Damn St. Louis must of did a number on you back in the days because you have so much hatred for them. Stop whining about that trophy…. you sound like a baby.

Whhy July 18, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Just for arguements sake consider this…

The way people talk on here is like the ILH is elite and the OIA just can’t keep up because of the intense recruiting of the ILH.

The OIA has more D1 titles than the ILH (Not counting the 19 year old era of Cal Lee of course). So maybe the opposite is true and the OIA has quality teams and best of the best are already represented in the state tournament (OIA#1, ILH#2, OIA#2 and #3. The ILH doesn’t deserve more shots at it just cause they have money, and if the last 16-17 years means anything the ILH has not been the best.

Hyn July 18, 2017 at 10:42 pm

Whhy- it’s always the same guys bashing ILH teams so people say something to back them up. It’s hardly ever the ILH saying something bad about the oia first. Let me tell you why….. Most people on this site who are from the ILH probably came from the oia and are paying money out of there pockets to send there kids to private schools. So it’s not like they don’t like the oia it’s all the haters talking crap about them so they say something. To answer your question you cannot say #3 oia is always better then #2 ILH . Maybe sometimes but not always. That’s why we should have the best teams in there on a yearly basis and it might be different. But just like Dave reardon said the oia are willing to sacrifice all that oia teams just to eliminate 1 ILH . How sad is that….

anywaaaays!! July 18, 2017 at 11:12 pm

Whhy – your argument that the OIA has been the dominant league in the post prep-bowl (Cal Lee 19yr old) era is counter intuitive. That argument is playing right into the hands of idiots like Hyn and Dave Reardon who believe that the playing field is NOW even and the ILH should have more teams inserted into the state tourney, and on top of that, both leagues should merge together.

The TRUTH is that only Kahuku can compete, Kahuku has 7 of the 9 OIA titles. Remove Kahuku from the picture and the ILH will have had 15 of the last 17 titles. The OIA (minus Kahuku) cannot compete with the ILH year-in-and year-out, because of KAHUKUS success the ILH is trying to change the landscape of Hawaii HS football. I dont see the landscape of soccer, basketball, baseball, volleyball, waterpolo and all the other sports that ILH are dominating in change, why? because when the ILH are winning and their high paying tuition familys and alumni are satisfied, all is good in the universe. When an OIA team like Kahuku dominates over the ILh then they need to change things and tilt it in their favors, ie: insert a 2nd ILH team, or even better combine the two leagues. smh!

Kahuku girls volleyball has been a consistent top 3 team in the state the past 5 years, but when they get into the state tourney they are not used to playing high powered ILH teams so they lose. It would be very beneficial for the OIA to merge seasons with the ILH so that OIA powers like Kahuku/Moanalua/Mililani can get used to ILH compeition and raise the level of competition in Hawaii Volleyball. Isnt that a valid argument? isnt that something that benefits all the kids of Hawaii? NOPE! as long as the ILH is winning and only their kids are benefitting….nothing needs to change.

In contrast….As soon as Kahuku goes on a run to win state Football titles the ILH people are attempting to merge the OIA and ILH….whats their biggest argument? “So that competition gets better and all kids can benefit!”. On record, after STL lost to Kahuku in 2015, Cal Lee went on camera and started to lobby…”it would be nice to play them in the regular season so we can get used to their smash mouth style”. Sure enough a few months later the ILH proposes to the OIA to combine leagues and offers 3 Million$$$, OIA says no! so what did they do? They secretly create the Open division format to strong arm their ILH#2 team in.

If we dont speak out for our OIA schools then the privileged elitists and media mongers will continue to make them out to be villians.

Im not against private schools and all the good that they do for their kids that can afford to attend, do what ever you want to do but do it on your own time and in your own way, stay in yo own lane and the OIA will stay in theirs.

Hyn July 19, 2017 at 12:28 am

Anyways – your the idiot!! Most times there’s going to be one dominant team in each division. The last couple years was St. Louis but before that it was punahou. Take the top ILH out of the equation and kahuku will always win it…. doesn’t take a genius to figure that out and we’re the idiots. Didn’t kahuku just win states from basketball because they recruited. Didn’t that boy leave the school right after they won. At least the kids stay to graduate at there ILH schools. Oh but know one is talking about that because it’s basketball. Again the only reason we want to see a merger is better games. Seriously you have a problem with ILH schools and you need some help. I don’t like to talk bad about oia schools but people like you keep hating on ILH schools.

Whhy July 19, 2017 at 11:02 am

Hyn – A couple of thoughts after reading yours and Anyways comments.

1. If things were different and Kahuku was out of the picture, ILH won more state titles these last 16 years. Would the ILH or ILH fans would be requesting to enter ILH#2 into the State Tournament?

2. Somewhere here on HPW it talks about the way that the HHSAA decides league participation and it’s standard across all sports, why is it that the ILH is adamant that specifically in Football (ONLY) that they need more representation?

anywaaaays!! July 19, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Hyn you and your ancestry are too nice and easy to deceive, thats why you got your land swept away from under your feet. Grow some balls, smell the coffee and look at whats happening between the HAVES and HAVE-NOTS. Study hard and look at the deeper meaning of whats really going on behind the scenes. There is a reason that an OIA kid and their family cross the line into the ILH….they want to be a part of the HAVES!

Peace to all but stay in yo own lane!
Prepbowl oia1 vs ilh1 – Done!

Hyn July 19, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Why- it’s because every other sport there’s more then one team right?
Anywaays- the reason you send your kid to private school is to better there education. Most local kids are easily distracted and lose interest real fast when it comes to school. You send them to private schools because of the education and resources that are available to them. You have to stop living in the past and think about the future grasshopper. You KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!

Whhy July 19, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Hyn – Do you think the ILH would be complaining about additional slots if ILH#1 were winning?

I need to check; but I think VB had Kam vs Iolani so that was two in states there.

Hyn July 19, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Whhy- pretty much all the other sports have 2. So how come not football?

anywaaaays!! July 19, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Cause all the other sports have 12 teams participating from all 4 leagues (OIA,ILH,BIIF,MIL), they play their tourney 4 days straight (Wed-Sat) to determine the title. Football can only play one game a week and the neighbor islands dont want to play with the big boys so we are forced to only use two leagues, OIA/ILH. Based on those two leagues the ratio of 20 OIA schools to 3 ILH only makes sense that the OIA get 3 teams in and ILH only 1.

Why dont you see the NFL doing 7 game series in their post season just like basketball, baseball, hockey? Cause football is a physcial brutal sport where everything is laid out on the field on one day, not a seven game series.

The old Prep bowl one-and-done was correct. Just like how college has one-and-done bowl games. Even the new Ncaa football tourney only involves 4 teams and the eventual champion only has to win 2 games to claim the championship.

Leave a Comment

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Star-Advertiser's TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, email hawaiiwarriorworld@staradvertiser.com.

*

Previous post:

Next post: